My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://lacqueredlife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

To Elsie, With Love

When I started this blog three years ago, I started it with a post on Elsie de Wolfe's The House in Good Taste. Today, some of my favorite quotes from that famous text. If you don't have a copy, I suggest you go purchase one. 

"Our ancestors built for stability and use, and so their simple houses were excellent examples of architecture. Their spacious, uncluttered interiors were usually beautiful. House and furniture fulfilled their uses, and if an object fulfills its mission, the chances are that it is beautiful."

"The strongest, the most intense, feeling I have about decoration is my love of color."

"We must learn to recognize suitability, simplicity, and proportion, and apply our knowledge to our needs." 

"The house was very simple, you see, and very small, so when the time came to leave it we had grown to love every inch of it. You can love a small house so completely!"

Photos courtesy of Darryl Carter, Architectural Digest, House Beautiful, Elle Decor

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...